History of HitchinHitchin is a beautiful historic market town based in North Hertfordshire. The earliest reference to the town dates back to the 7th Century although the first modern reference to the name of ‘Hitchin’ was made as recently as the 17th century.
The town is renowned for St Mary’s Church, the largest parish church in Hertfordshire and one whose tower dates back to 1190. It is linked with the 8th century king of Mercia King Offa and it has been suggested that he founded a church on the same site.
Boosted by the wool trade along the nearby Icknield Way the prosperity of the town flourished in the 17th century and it became a staging post for those travelling to and from London.
The advent of the railways in 1850 further strengthened the town as a commercial centre.
In terms of architecture Hitchin offers a range of delightful examples. The Market place is cobbled and surrounded by old traditional buildings dating back to the 15th century. Tudor and Georgian buildings surround the town creating the beautiful look that Hitchin is so famous for.